What is the origin of your username?

Feel free to post about anything here.
Dangosango33

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:43 pm

I'll start :D

My original username was dangabangadang AKA one hell of a big name say, I was at school at the time I created that name and decided I wanted a simpler "internet name" like my friend Tom who is still known to this day as killertom63.

so I started playing around with my first name (Daniel) and came up with dango, kept trying to find words to rhyme and eventually came to dangosango, the 33 I just threw on there because it seemed to roll off the tongue right at the time :D

Tell me your name origin! no matter how silly or serious, the point is don't tell if you don't want but if you have a name people either get wrong all the time or ask you where it came from, you could point them to this thread :) :D :cool: :p :confused: :eek:
MavenOfMisfortune

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:10 pm

Book called The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. Everyone in a social network, he theorizes, revolves around a very clear structure of performers: Connectors, Mavens, and Salesmen. Mavens act as information providers and collectors, gathering material and making it available to those connected to themselves. They're "almost pathologically helpful" to the point of being unable to help themselves.

"A Maven is someone who wants to solve other people's problems, generally by solving his own."

I am intense person. My emotions are on my sleeve, and I am extremely vulnerable in a lot of ways. Despite a priviledged upbringing, I suffered quite a lot and often saw myself repeating cycles of mania, misfortune, and depression. So, while trying to solve my own problems of depression, anxiety, and social performance, I wanted to help others going through the same thing.

I wanted to be a Maven of Misfortune.
WadeDMcGinnis

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Wade - Deadpool
D - One Piece
McGinnis - Batman Beyond

*)
Alysante

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:04 pm

I loved the "Dwarf" books from Markus Heitz. Back when i made my WoW-Account i searched for a name and remembered Alysante. Stuck with me for the last 12 years :D

For all the booklovers in here. Read "The Dwarfs"-Series. It's fluffin amazing.
LongwoodGeek

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:43 am

Mine is from my alma mater, Longwood University in Farmville, VA and the fact that I am a huge geek. :D
dreamsryche

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:10 pm

My name originates from two of my favorite prog rock bands, Dream Theater and Queensryche. I wanted a name that didn't necessarily correlate to my personal life, like with my name or other identifying features. At the time they were pretty much all that I listened to, and thus it was so.
bs03

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:56 am

First, let's say I'm "older".
I have been using bs03 since the mid-1980s.

Because of slow connections, expensive memory, and less power overall, everything was kept at a minimum. User names were 3-5 characters. Modern user names and passwords would have taken up too much just to log on.
Also, networks tended to be more localized with fewer users. There wasn't a worry about running out of combinations.

I was the third "bs" user on my first networked access.
So I have been bs03 longer than many Twitch viewers have been alive.
RidingWithCJ

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:17 am

I'm going to be the boring one and have no real backstory, It's derived from the following.

I ride a Ducati
I'm a guy

Thus The Ducati Guy, I know..it's brilliant isn't it hahaha
Sotonian

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:12 pm

The term Sotonian means someone from the English city of Southampton, i'm from Southampton so i called myself Sotonian. Simple :P
RidingWithCJ

Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:56 am

[QUOTE="Sotonian, post: 36165, member: 69068"]The term Sotonian means someone from the English city of Southampton, i'm from Southampton so i called myself Sotonian. Simple :p [/QUOTE]

I'm in Portsmouth, howdy Neighbour!
MikeTheCanuck

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Playing CS 1.6 with a bunch of college buddies back when RvB was in season 2 or 3. Didn't have a solid nickname other than Mike at that point even in the online world nothing I had I liked (random account names nothing good). We were playing 1.6 during class when we had no more Windows Server work to do. One guy accidentally walked in front of me while I was shooting at another. Ended the round with a negative one score like Private Caboose in Red vs Blue. Seeing as we both had the same first name and with that score for being a "team killing ***" that round. They started calling me PvtCaboose, I never looked back.
Ms_Chaotica

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:35 pm

It came from my making a character on launch day for City of Heroes. I didn't want to use my usual online nickname, because it would be a TERRIBLE hero name, so I needed another one. I was working on a server at the time that was named Chaotica, which sounded cool, and here I am.
TheZatanna

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:28 pm

The DC heroine. Just found her name really interesting and I believe it worked as a unisexual name. Used it on my Steam and it stuck ever since.
Pralix

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:46 am

Mine is the name of a character from a classic Doctor Who episode, penned by the late Douglas Adams of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" fame.
NintendosTrickster

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:05 am

Hmm okay... I used to be in the Supernatural fandom, and got known as a massive Gabriel/Richard Speight Jr fanboy. Gabriel is also known as the trickster, and a lot of people jokingly called me a trickster too.. Then later when I played Fire Emblem Awakening I really loved Anna, who is a trickster.

Later, when I decided to make a gaming (tumblr) blog and was thinking of usernames I wanted to use Nintendo in it, since I love Nintendo, and since I was known as a trickster (even though I never play pranks or anything on people) I called myself NintendosTrickster. (and Nintendo's Trickster on Youtube)

For my artist username/website (which is TricksterDanArt) it is much the same, just my real name is Daniel, Dan for short, and since i post my art, I added art...
Cleancut92

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Cleancut92 from back in the days when i played EVE Online. My first character was called Razorblade. After some time i decided to get an alt and asked my buddies to help me think of a name for him, as im terrible with names. And one of them knew you could get clean cuts from a razorblade and so the name Cleancut came into existance. The 92 added because the name is taken in pretty much every game.
ww2ogre

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:41 pm

I got the nickname ogre when I was in jr. high, something about sacking the qb and tackling the two runningbacks at the same time. It stuck and this is before Revenge of the Nerds or Shrek.

World War 2 Ogre or wwiiogre or ww2ogre came about when I was working for Battlefront as a freelance editor/proofreader for Flames of War world war two tabletop miniatures game.

Usually when I try to join a site, ogre is always taken or unavailable since Steve Jackson games has a trademark or somesuch. So wwiiogre/ww2ogre has been a mainstay since.

Chris
Mhurgle

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:45 pm

I have so many names, so many identities for different places, for different personas, for different needs.

Mhurgle, Zhurgle, Bezlanbub, Sathanatos, Azmodthalis, Luciferonas, Laphraion, Xarexis, Yzkethrag, Yzghuldar, Thraggan, Eldthrekmal, Xerisian, Szalahna, Abdaesulum, Lqzkrthx and a couple thousand others I can't remember, I've been around for a very long time.
Totally Not A Chaos God,
Definitely Not A Demon Lord,
Not Likely A Boogeyman,
Probably A Ghost.
kothove

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:49 am

Asked many times in chat I decided to post it here: I needed a new name for Twitch as my old old Nickname was Nightfire (before all the James Bond Nightfire 007 games). If someone is interested Nightfire was mentioned in a Shadowrun book, thats where i got i from.

My name is a self interpreted easier to read version of Kvothe from the King Killer Chronicle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle

As Kote or Kvothe or Kothove is known by many names ;)