twitch chat not working in firefox

Post here if you are having trouble with something.
Hpcat

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:42 pm

I need some help guys, I tryed going to twitch for help but they its something with my computer and cant help, twitch chat works fine in every browser except firefox [which i use for everything]
it just keeps putting the "Sorry, we were unable to connect to chat. Reconnecting in X seconds." message, and none of the buttons work like the settings or popout, nothing.
I tried clearing everything in my browser changing my twitch password and stuff in the config, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling firefox. BTTV is off.
im at my wits end unable to interact with the chat, I cant use another browser because my computer likes to crash for some reason if I have more then one open.
So if any one has had this problem and fixed it or has any more ideas please let me know.

{ Picture only has up to 8 seconds because I kept closing twitch in firefox }

Image Ignore the message in the chat, it worked for 2 seconds but never sent and now i cant get rid of the message.
QueenOf All the Lurkers!
!hpcat
JulesHanso

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:51 am

What plugins do you have installed?
JulesHanso

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:38 am

Clearly it is a connection problem. There are a few things that could go wrong here.
Most likely its a problem of cross-site scripting. The chat is not really part of the twitch site or to be honest nothing is now is "part" of the twitch site or a better word twitch domain. Everything comes from different servers. So maybe your Browser blocks the XSS (cross-site scripting) of the chat server. Here are a few things you can try.

First disable all your plugins in Firefox and try again. If it works enable them one by one and find out which plugin causes the problem.

There are often problems with Browser when you can't find out where the problem is. This is a little trickier and often combined with some inconveniences. A new instillation doesn't work like in most cases. The problem is mostly not the Browser or program it self but the configurations. If you use a Browser for a long time and you always update your browser you ran sometimes in a bug with your "old" configuration. So what can you do. Test to create a new Profile and test if the problem persists. You can do that without losing your old configurations including your bookmarks etc. If you haven't changed the configuration where your profile is saved you can find it in your appData folder.

1. close Firefox
2. Press Win+r and the run dialog will open
3. enter "%appdata%" without "
4. search for the "Mozilla" folder, open it
5. enter the "Firefox" folder
6. rename the "profiles.ini" file in something like "profiles.ini.bak" or something it just has to be a different name
7. start firefox. (Now you should have a fresh firefox) Test twitch everything should be working now.
8. you can change to you old profile if you rename your previously renamed profiles.ini

If twitch works fine after a new profile you then now the problem is your profile not Firefox. If this is the case the simple solution would be to export all your bookmarks and password (for that you need a plugin) make a new profile and import your stuff.
The difficult solution try to find out what is wrong with your profile.
Hpcat

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:30 pm

[QUOTE="JulesHanso, post: 45181, member: 84644"]Clearly it is a connection problem. There are a few things that could go wrong here.
Most likely its a problem of cross-site scripting. The chat is not really part of the twitch site or to be honest nothing is now is "part" of the twitch site or a better word twitch domain. Everything comes from different servers. So maybe your Browser blocks the XSS (cross-site scripting) of the chat server. Here are a few things you can try.

First disable all your plugins in Firefox and try again. If it works enable them one by one and find out which plugin causes the problem.

There are often problems with Browser when you can't find out where the problem is. This is a little trickier and often combined with some inconveniences. A new instillation doesn't work like in most cases. The problem is mostly not the Browser or program it self but the configurations. If you use a Browser for a long time and you always update your browser you ran sometimes in a bug with your "old" configuration. So what can you do. Test to create a new Profile and test if the problem persists. You can do that without losing your old configurations including your bookmarks etc. If you haven't changed the configuration where your profile is saved you can find it in your appData folder.

1. close Firefox
2. Press Win+r and the run dialog will open
3. enter "%appdata%" without "
4. search for the "Mozilla" folder, open it
5. enter the "Firefox" folder
6. rename the "profiles.ini" file in something like "profiles.ini.bak" or something it just has to be a different name
7. start firefox. (Now you should have a fresh firefox) Test twitch everything should be working now.
8. you can change to you old profile if you rename your previously renamed profiles.ini

If twitch works fine after a new profile you then now the problem is your profile not Firefox. If this is the case the simple solution would be to export all your bookmarks and password (for that you need a plugin) make a new profile and import your stuff.
The difficult solution try to find out what is wrong with your profile.[/QUOTE]

OK so that seems to be it, I made a new profile and twitch chat worked fine. do you know what plug in it is and how to export my bookmarks and stuff?
QueenOf All the Lurkers!
!hpcat
Hpcat

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:12 am

I figured it out, turns out you dont need a plugin to export your stuff just go into your profile and change the name from where the new profile tates its information from to the old profiles folder
QueenOf All the Lurkers!
!hpcat